Thursday, August 13, 2015

Don't Shout At Someone Standing On The Edge... Everyone Knows That... Right?

This morning, I got off of the 3 train and crossed the platform to wait for the 4.  I thought I saw the train there so I walked all of the way to it; my cane extended with the intent of hitting the it.  Once my cane made contact, I would trail (drag) it along the side of the train until it found the door, or I saw it.  The only problem was that the train was leaving.

            I felt it rolling along my cane (it was too noisy for me to hear), and once I got a little closer, I saw what my cane had already told me.  I pulled back, and just stared at the side of the train with a forlorn expression.

            A woman shouted something.  But I missed it.  I wasn't even sure she was talking to me

            "Come this way!" a man's voice.

            I turn around, my cane resting in the crook of my right arm, and the left hand half raised.

            "What?"

            "Come this way? You're standing too close."

            "I'm fine, thank you."

            "No..."

            I never heard the rest of what he said.

            My rationale for walking away was, that, well, I was in the back of the train, and I needed to be in the middle.
* * *

            Initially, I had been standing on the yellow warning strip (as I watched the train pull away).  But as soon as I realized that it was leaving, I stepped back a little.

            I have two train platform stances.  Which one I use, depends on how loud the station is:
If it's one of the smaller and, consequently, quieter stations I stand more in the center of the platform leaning against one of the poles.  But if it's a loud, crazy station (like Grand Central), I stand anywhere from the middle of the platform to just behind the yellow warning strip also resting against one of the poles/pillars (for support).

            This morning, though, I was not in my customary, "slouched against pillar" position.  I was standing out in the open.

            Though I'm pretty sure the guy was shouting at me because of how close I was to the line.  At least I wasn't on it! What about those people who LEAN OUT OVER THE TRACK? (That drives me insane)

            And did he really have to shout? If I was someone who startled easily, I could have taken an involuntary step forward (maybe two involuntary steps, depends on how long my stride was at that moment).  If he'd touched my arm, maybe that would have been better.  But I suppose that could still startle a person.

            I dunno.  I guess there's no real train etiquette, but there should be.  At least try to think of a more soothing way to approach someone standing at the edge.

            Maybe a blog on train etiquette will be what rounds out my weekly three posts.  Till then, you should read another of my posts about another train incident.

No comments:

Post a Comment